If you have or had a cockroach infestation, you will know how difficult it is to get rid of these pests. Cockroaches are one of the pests that should be left to the professionals. When you are expecting a pest control company to come and treat your house for cockroaches, they will most likely give you certain requirements and specifications to prepare your house before they get there. These steps are very important to ensure the safety of you and your family.
Most pest control companies will not treat areas that have not been prepared as they requested. General things that will be on their requirement list include:
- Clean your house. A thorough house-cleaning before pest control arrives is very important. Proper cleaning and storing of food after the treatment is just as important. This reduces the food and water sources that the roaches may be attracted to.
- Remove all food items. All food should be stored properly and in air tight containers. All food, containers, and appliances should be removed from countertops.
- Protect baby’s things. All baby furniture like cots, beds, toy chest, mattress, and changing table should be covered or removed before pest control gets there. Also, make sure that all toys are packed away or covered.
- Clean all floor surfaces. Before pest control comes to apply the treatment and other methods, clean all floors with detergent and vacuum all carpets thoroughly. While you do this, also vacuum up all visible cockroaches or eggs. Use the smaller attachments of the vacuum to get into small spaces and crevices.
- Keep your home clear of garbage. Keep the area where garbage cans are kept clean and take out the garbage daily. This will prevent the cockroaches from having food sources. If they don’t have food, they are more likely to eat the stuff put out by pest control.
- Declutter your house. Get rid of any excess paper in your house and make sure that there are no cluttered areas that may prevent pest control from applying treatment. Clutter is a great place for cockroaches to live and breed.
- Follow any other specific directions. Pest control will give you a list of specific areas that need to be cleared. These areas are where they expect or know that the cockroach nests are. Keep these areas clean and prepped for when they arrive.
You should ensure that pest control has access to all the necessary areas as indicated by them. Following their instructions will make the process faster, easier, and less of an inconvenience. It will also increase the chances of successfully getting rid of the infestation. Getting rid of cockroaches will take time and most likely require routine applications of treatments. It is best to follow instructions and make sure that you follow the advice and instructions of pest control after they have applied the treatment.